Music is an essential part of a well-rounded person. Education is not just about giving someone enough information to be successful at a specific job when they graduate from high school or college. It should be about improving the individual person so they can be successful at life. Students need to be more informed about their own preferences and reasoning so they can take more enjoyment from all aspects of life.
I place more emphasis on the means rather than the end product. The principles learned on the journey to the end can apply to other situations. A student will have reached a set skill level and can progress to conquer other obstacles. In this way, the student is focusing on learning rather than on a concert.
I want to
- enhance student’s love for music
- teach how to enjoy life
- create musical experiences
- help students express themselves without words
- help students to apply all they know to a given concept/area
- help students to individually own music
- connect the students with music
- foster analytical thinking skills
- create independence in individual playing
- help students accomplish their own personal goals