My cousin has decided to become a foster mother. She’s approved for infants to 2 year olds… which means she’s not going to get a lot of sleep. But I thought I’d give her some of my hand knits. I’m using two strands of baby yarn together and a 10 1/2 circular needle. I think this is going to be awesome. After I’m done blocking it, I’m going to put a piece of fabric on the back so you can’t pull the fair isle floats. I’m using a cross stitch pattern as my fair isle pattern. I bought it on Etsy. I’m planning on doing most of them blue, and one of them bright neon yellow. I hope it turns out well.
I have finished knitting this shawl. It’s a Christmas present. I haven’t blocked it yet, and I don’t know when I will because I don’t have any of that equipment yet. At least I’ve got 11 months to figure it out.
The girls both wanted a picture with it.
This one said it was beautiful.
Here’s the back.
I found this underneath the ottoman as I was cleaning up this evening. It is my pattern for the shawl that I’m knitting. (My husband doesn’t want to spend money on the ink for our printer – probably good for me because I think I went on a printing rampage once or twice). Here’s an update on my progress. I’m using a size 9 needle this time. I’m kind of excited about this one.
I started this pattern, Blossoms by the Brook by Knitty.com. It’s my first shawl attempt. I’m using acrylic worsted weight yarn, an old dye lot, and old brand. Something that doesn’t exist anymore. My grandmother’s yarn stash is getting used. 😀 I’m going to give it to her when it’s done. However…
I did something wrong. Stitches are disappearing all over the place. I don’t know what I did wrong, but I guess that means that I have to start over again. But that’s alright. I’m not sure that the weight of yarn I was supposed to use was worsted weight, so I’m going to use a size 9 needle, instead of a size 8. I ripped it out and started again. I’m still concerned about blocking it because it is acrylic. I know that it is possible, and there are some pins on pinterest and blog posts out there on it, but it seems that it’s not very popular to use acrylic for anything. But not everyone can afford nice yarn, and you probably ought to use what you have before you go and buy more stuff.
I finally got this scarf done for my husband to his approved length. The last two times I went to the store to buy the yarn for it, it was sold out, so I drove across town to the west side store to buy it.
Somehow my scissor handles broke. I guess I should stop leaving my knitting bag on the ground.
Beard Hat from this pattern. I didn’t quite do the beard like it says, but that’s alright. It was pretty quick knitting with the chunky yarn.
I knit this hat in a couple days. I used a technique I found on pinterest to make the joining in the round to be less obvious. The tip is to slip the first stitch purl wise on the second round of the stripe, then knit as normal. The second picture is to show the joining in the round.
I thought that this yarn and this stitch pattern would be fitting for a man. It seems I have a lot of yarn for girls, but not so much that suit boys. I guess that’s fitting, seeing as I have two toddler girls.
I used size 15 needles and two strands of worsted weight yarn. I think it took me two-three days. Since I didn’t have to think very much about the stitch pattern, I got to read “Bringing it to the Table” by Wendell Berry.
I was actually able to knit this hat in one day. I guess I’m getting faster. I’m pretty happy with the way it turned out. It’s an original design… or I guess a modified design between a sweater pattern and a hat.