Garden Fail

This is one of my tomato plants that may or may not survive. I planted at least 8 plants… twice. This is one of the leftovers. I don’t know if it will survive, but I’ll leave it just in case. I think I watered them too much possibly. Plus the lack of fertilizer probably has something to do with it. We bought some fertilizer and I think it’s helping. It has rained so much in the past month that the top of the soil is now green. My husband told me that I should turn the soil over, so I did. Hopefully it won’t rain so much anymore. This week we don’t have a huge chance of rain so that’s a welcome improvement for having three or four days of rain a week for two or three weeks. There’s still standing water in our backyard.

As a fail safe I bought some other tomato plants that were much more mature than seedlings. I bought an heirloom tomato plant (red with yellow streaks), cherry, roma, beefsteak, and another one I don’t exactly remember.

I saw this flower at the Garden center with a bee buzzing around it. I took that as a good sign and bought it in hopes that it would attract beneficial bugs to help with the garden pests.

Beginning of a Garden

I started some seeds today using some of Jiffy’s Organic Seed Starting Mix. I had been saving my egg cartons for someday when we have chickens and live on a farm. But I realized recently that that probably won’t happen for another 20-30 years, so hey, I’ll use them for seed starting.

After starting I realized that I should have used warm water to moisten the soil, so I switched to that in the middle. I don’t have a heating mat, so I’m guessing that that will help it along a little bit. I started strawberries, beefsteak tomatoes, roma tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, and pink brandywine tomatoes, lavender, chives, lettuce, nasturtiums, petunias, and marigolds. It is a little early to be planting the flowers, but they are old seeds and I don’t know if they’ll come up. Hopefully the flowers will help with the nasty bug population by attracting good predator bugs.

While I was planting, one of my daughters knocked over the cup of water that I was using to moisten the soil. It got all over the rest of the seed packets. I set them all out to dry, hopefully it’s not screwed up.

Progress: Toddler apron

 

Mostly ironing was what I did today. I folded the waist and neck strings right sides together and ironed them. I seamed two  sides together, and cut the square edge off diagonally.

IMG_0704

IMG_0705 Then I turned them right side out.

IMG_0706 And ironed them again.

IMG_0708I worked on the pocket, ironing the sides back and hemming the top of the pocket.

IMG_0707I also hemmed the bottom ruffle – after ironing a double fold. I was able to sew a baste stitch to gather it.

Then I heard a two year old whimpering down the stairs. So I picked her up and she’s now sleeping on my lap.

 

Sewing: Toddler Apron

IMG_0698

 

My kids love to be in the kitchen and being my sous chefs. I only have one apron that I bought for my eldest daughter, while my youngest was still an infant. Let’s just say there are fights over the one apron, which is bright pink. I bought it from Hobby Lobby.

During the last part of “nap time” today I cut out these pieces. I traced the main part of the apron onto a newspaper for a template. Then I guesstimated a straight piece for a ruffle, two draw strings to tie together, and a piece to hold it onto the neck (I have no idea if that has a special name or not).

Next I plan to iron all the pieces and hems. I suppose we’ll see how far I’ll get during the next nap time…. which will probably be Monday.

Flowers

These are the flowers in my front garden bed. I didn’t think they would bloom, but since we’ve got so much rain lately I guess that helps a lot.

20130806-195238.jpg
This is the remnant of an unruly rose bush that was about 5 feet tall that we tried to remove. It keeps on coming back.

20130806-195246.jpg

20130806-195252.jpg

20130806-195258.jpg

Mini Rose Bushes Done

I finally was in the mood to finish the rose bush flower bed. I realized the other day that I should just use leaves as mulch instead if buying it. Hopefully it squashes some of the grass whose roots I couldn’t get. I’ll continue to put more layers on as needed.

20121001-110356.jpg

Mini Rose Bushes

My grandmother had these mini rosebushes planted a long time ago. They have pretty much suffered from years of neglect. There was/is grass and weeds growing up all throughout the bed. The closest thing to mulch that I think was ever used was sand. Ick. I pruned the first three bushes after I tried to dig up all the grass and pull out the weeds. It does look a lot better now, though I’m only half done with the bed. I did some research just now on how to keep it from coming back. Evidently you need to cover it with 1/2 inch of newspaper and then some shredded wood mulch. I’m not sure that that’s a luxury we can afford right now, so I suppose I’ll have to either figure out an alternative wood mulch or just keep picking the grass next year until we can afford it.

20120919-164427.jpg

20120919-164607.jpg

One of the rosebushes has a bud on it. Pretty.

20120919-164656.jpg

This is the end of the project today. Not too bad.

Iris beds

Yesterday I spent most of the morning digging a bed to put the irises into. Then in the afternoon I dug up 100 iris bulbs that were jammed together and replanted them in the bed I dug that morning. There are so many of the rhizomes in just that one bed. I’m estimating about 600 in that bed. That is just too much work to do every several years, especially because there are more beds like that- like at least 6 of them.

20120912-171303.jpg

20120912-171332.jpg

20120912-171400.jpg